Media Release: Upper House Rebukes Rockliff Government on Failure to Act on State Gambling Ad Ban Resolution
Upper House Rebukes Rockliff Government on Failure to Act on State Gambling Ad Ban Resolution
Wednesday, 19 August 2026
Independent Member for Nelson Meg Webb today welcomed the support of the Legislative Council passing her motion requesting the government progress previous resolutions for a state ban on gambling advertising in state-owned or funded venues, and on player uniforms.
“The Upper House gave the Rockliff government a sharp rebuke and a wake up call, making it very clear it expects passed resolutions to be respected and acted upon accordingly,” Ms Webb said.
“The Rockliff government has been provided a second chance to now comply with the resolution originally passed in December last year to progress implementing a ban on gambling advertising or sponsorship in state-owned or funded venues, and on players’ uniforms.
“The Legislative Council has provided a clear deadline of 10 September by which it expects to receive a comprehensive update, following the government’s failure to comply with the original progress report due date of June this year.
“There is no good reason for Tasmania failing to be a national leader in demonstrating how we can disrupt the current and damaging social norm that betting and sport go together.
““Tasmanians should be able to go to their local grounds and cheer on their teams secure in knowing that there at least they will be free of betting advertising around the ground and on their favourite players’ uniforms.
“Shame on the Rockliff government for dragging its feet in providing that freedom to Tasmanian players, families and supporters.
“It is a lazy cop-out for the Premier to say these reforms should occur federally, as the relevant Murphy Report recommendation, number 26, state this particular reform requires consultation with state and territory governments.
“We should be well down the track of having mandated gambling advertising-free State-owned and funded venues established well before the end of this year, without having to wait for Federal reforms,” Ms Webb said.
Text of Ms Webb’s motion passed by the Legislative Council Tuesday 18 August 2026:
I (Ms Webb) give Notice that tomorrow I shall move that the Council —
- Notes on Tuesday 2 December 2025 the Council passed a resolution calling on the State government to introduce within one year a complete ban on gambling advertising and sponsorship at all state-owned or state-funded venues including the Macquarie Point Stadium, and on players’ uniforms, and further to table an implementation progress report within six months of the passage of that resolution;
- Further notes the six month deadline was 2 June 2026, however the State government has not yet tabled the requested implementation update as it was called on to do by this House;
- Recognises the Federal Government’s gambling advertising reforms announced on 2 April 2026, will partially implement recommendations of the 2023 House of Representatives Standing Committee on Social Policy and Legal Affairs report You Win Some, You Lose More – Inquiry into Online Gambling and Its Impacts on Those Experiencing Gambling Harm, and do not preclude the state taking immediate action for state-owned of funded venues;
- Reaffirms that publicly owned state venues should prohibit gambling advertising and sponsorship that normalise or glamorise wagering, consistent with the clear public health responsibility to avoid promoting activities known to cause harm;
- Notes with grave concern the failure of the State government to acknowledge or address the December 2025 resolution passed by this House;
- Formally requests by Thursday 10 September 2026 the State government provides to this House a comprehensive response to the 2 December2025 resolution, and which is to address both:
- That resolution’s call for gambling advertising and sponsorship at all state-owned or state-funded venues, and on players’ uniforms; to be prohibited; and
- An implementation timeframe update.
